Wednesday 17 September 2014

Target audience brief

When looking at my target audience I had to take into account the content of the music and also the videos created by the artist (passenger.) The psychographics of those seen in those music videos, and also how could I attract an audience by my music video.


The most common Psychographic profiling on the target audience of Passenger,

Most will listen to radio channels such as XFM
Comedy is seen as a key interest
They prefer to go to gigs and festivals
Most likely to have a view on politics and have a belief in freedom and speech
a majority of the audience will be in fulltime education and/or have a Saturday part-time job

This target audience would also have a problem with
Gimmicks that take away from the lyrics and the music and their message
'Arrogant bands who just sell out and do not care about making decent but by just getting a pay cheque'





My ideal target audience would be the age range of 16-24 because I believe that the content the artist looks at in his songs, for instance in his song 'community centre' from the album 'Divers and Submarines' he looks at underage drinking and how he ended up at an AA meeting.  "When everyone was drinking singles I was pouring myself a double I just needed a little bit more. Now I'm here with a name badge listening to the same sad stories about their old dads...." I would also say this would his target audience because they are close to his actual age, so logically those within the same age range would be able to understand the themes that he looks at in his songs. Audience theories were also looked at to show my target audience, such as the 'two-step-flow' theory, which relies on consumers spreading the word (mostly like below-the-line advertising) to friends/family which then concludes to the consumption of the product by a wider audience (e.g. your friends tell their friends, who then tell their friends etc..) I have decided that I will use the 'two-step-flow' theory for my work because it encourages me to create a piece of media which will be worth sharing and worth the below-the-line advertising which this theory creates.


When looking at 'Passenger's music videos on YouTube, I have seen that his music video, dating to when his first mainstream album came around 'All the little lights'

Let it go: 423,069,695 views
All the little lights: 429,701 views
The wrong direction: 12,110,013 views
Things that stop you dreaming: 523,806 views


When you look at the content of these music video's the most viewed 'Let her go' is all about love and how he realises that he didn't know a good thing when he had it, and now that she is gone, he understands. This would then show that his audience would be involved with songs which are based around love, which would imply that his target audience is based on the female gender. However I do not say that men cannot listen this is sort of music, with the statistics shown on sites such as 'Google' and 'XFM' the sites imply that from the sales of merchandise, gig tickets, and album sales that mostly women are the dominate gender for indie pop artist, which Passenger and the likes of Ed Sheeran.













No comments:

Post a Comment